The P.E. discipline of Beijing Normal University enjoys a long history of more than ninety years. Besides, the P.E. department of Beijing Normal University, set up in 1917, was one of the first P.E. departments being established in China. In 2002, the former P.E. department merged with the former Teaching and Research Division of Public P.E., and changed its name to College of P.E. and Sports, with IOC executive commissioner and Honorary Chairman of Chinese Olympic Committee He Zhenliang being the honorary president, Doctorial Supervisor Mao Zhenming being the president and professor Yang Guoqing being the secretary of CPC branch.
At present, college of P.E. and Sports has three departments: Dept of P.E., Dept of Sports Training and Dept of Sports & Health; three management centers: the Center for International Academic Exchange, Stadiums and Courts’ Management Center and Mass Sports Management Center. There are two research centers in the college: Center for Sport Humanities and Social Science and Center for Physical Education. The college is selected by the Ministry of Education as one of the “Education and Training Base for Chinese P.E. and Art Teachers”. Currently it has a Ph.D. program in Sport Humanities and Social Science; four Master’s program: Sport Humanities and Social Science , Sports Physical Science, P.E. & Sports Training and Chinese Traditional Sports and three undergraduate majors: Physical Education, Sports and Sports Economy.
Currently the college of P.E. and Sports is well staffed with 55 teachers, in which there are 12 professors, 26 associate professors, 4 Ph.D. supervisors(including 1 part-time supervisor) and 24 master's supervisors(including 6 part-time supervisors).
College of P.E. and Sports has made great efforts to strengthen its academic research since its foundation. She refined her academic research management system, established award regulating system for academic research achievements, and fully strengthened academic research management of its staff. With the establishment and refinement of the management systems, the research has made a great progress and the main achievements are as follows:
1. We found the “the young teacher research foundation system” to encourage young teacher to carry out the research work and all the money is pooled by the college. 17 young teachers undertook the first batch of research programs which consists of 11 projects, and all of the projects had already finished, 8 pieces of paper had been published on the core journals.
2. We applied all kinds of projects actively and some research work gained the support from national of provincial foundation.
3. We held the “The second scientific meeting of China school physical education” in 2003, 21 teachers from our college attended the meeting and obtained reward.
4. 5 teachers were supported to attend meetings 7 times in all, included are the “2005 The third scientific meeting of China school physical education”, “The academic meeting of sports medicine field of China Scientific committee annum meeting” and “The fifteenth sports statistics meeting”.
5. We wrote some textbooks on physical education which is characteristic of Beijing Normal University, five of them had been published.
6. Laboratory construction had been fully strengthened. It has established two key labs of university level: the sport biomechanics lab and the lab of sport skill learning.
Since 2002 the college established, the school strengthened the teacher troop's construction and received the obvious achievement. These years we have added four doctoral tutors including a part-time tutor. It is a zero breakthrough in doctor students cultivate. 14 members of the staff have newly been selected as master’s supervisor (including 6 part-time supervisors), accounting for 58 percent of the total number, 6 members of the staff has been promoted to professor, accounting for 50 percent of the total number, 6 members of the staff have been promoted to associate professor, which accounts for 23 percent of the total number. Among the newly recruited staff, five of them have obtained doctor’s degree and three of them have obtained master’s degree, accounting for 16 percent of the staff who possess master’s degree. Currently, there are also 3 teachers which are doctor candidates and 9 teachers are pursuing their master’s degree.
The College of P.E. and Sports of Beijing Normal University is a comprehensive institute which stresses teaching as well as academic research. The college is selected by the Ministry of Education as one of the “Education and Training Base for Chinese P.E. and Art Teachers”. Currently it has a Ph.D. program in Sport Humanities and Social Science; four Master’s program: Sport Humanities and Social Science , Sports Physical Science, P.E. & Sports Training and Chinese Traditional Sports and three undergraduate majors: Physical Education, Sports and Sports Economy. In addition, our college also enrolls P.E. postgraduate students. Since its founding, more than 4000 graduates, including 393 students graduated before 1949, have graduated from our college. 3663 sports expertise(including 2204 graduates and hundreds of postgraduates) with varied types of talents has graduated from our college since 1959. Among these graduates, there are world famous chess player-XieJun and other elites in their respective field such as media，higher education, scientific research and sports administration.
Go to College of P.E. and Sports